Pioneer Museum (DUP), Tooele
Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museums
Pioneer City Hall
35 East Vine Street
Tooele, UT 84074
Open May-September, Friday and Saturday, 10 AM – 4 PM; open on Tuesdays by appointment only. Closed for winter months except by appointment. Also open on Holidays. If you have a large group or would like a special tour please contact us at 435-843-0771 or 435-882-4992.
This building is the most outstanding landmak of pioneer days still remaining in Tooele City.
The building which today houses the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum was completed in 1867, and is listed on the State Historical Register. It was at that time the ‘Old Pioneer City Hall’ and it’s purpose was to serve as a general amusement hall, to house city and county records and accommodate the general public for practically all public gatherings and activities. This was the first public building erected in Tooele County.
The building is constructed of stone brought from Settlement Canyon at the base of One O’Clock Mountain. In the days when the building was being constructed, there was no heavy equipment to haul the stone to Tooele. This was accomplished by hard work and hauled on flatbeds pulled by teams of horses. (History of Tooele County, vol. 1-p.203)
Active in construction were James Hammond, William Broad, Isaac Lee, W.C.Gollaher, John Gillespie, George Atkin, George W. Bryan and John Gordon. The building was used for a courthouse, city hall, jail and amusement center until 1941, when the new city hall on North Nain Street in Tooele was completed. It was then turned over to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers for a meeting place and amusement hall, later being turned into a museum.